Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Back home and settling into life as a family of 3

Hi all. I know I have been a negligent blogger but I was not in a blogging frame of mind in Vietnam. Things are starting to work themselves out here and jet lag is becoming less every day so I thought I would start up the old blog again and move from the realm of adoption journey to one of parenting.

First a brief summary of our time in Vietnam with Van. It was a very difficult time for all of us. He was very unhappy most of the time which of course made us unhappy most of the time as well. Patience was wearing pretty thin by the end of our time there. I am not inclined to talk about it in this blog as I want the blog to be a place of happiness and general positive energy. If any waiting parents would like to talk to me about our experiences and how we got through them without going insane lol please feel free to contact me by email. I know I could have used, and in fact did use, the advice and support of parents who had gone before and had difficulties as well. Sufficed to say it is not always a skip through the daisies although some families and their children have a much easier time than others.

So, given our tumultuous two weeks with Van, we were dreading the trip back and thought it would be 24 hours of crying, screaming and whining. Strangely our little man morphed once again into another personality and was an absolute star. who would have thought! Perhaps he knew that he wasn't going to get rid of us after all. He actually slept for 8 hours in the bassinet on the 15 flight from Hong Kong. He was generally pretty laid back and happy. We stayed the night in Toronto as we wouldn't have been able to get a flight to Ottawa until midnight so we arrived back in Ottawa on Saturday morning to a group of friends and other adoptive families waiting for us. It was great to see everybody and to be home.

So far he is adjusting pretty well considering the horrible jet lag we are all experiencing. I unfortunately had to go back to work yesterday so feel a little disconnected from my little family right now. I am pretty sure Pat is getting tired of my numerous phone calls home. I have also been sleeping at a friends place while I get over the jet lag due to having to work so have not been able to be a part of the bedtime or morning rituals. Hopefully I'll be back home soon!

That is my update for now. I will hopefully post some pictures tonight or tomorrow night and will continue blogging about our parenting adventures. Let the real journey begin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment