Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Resignation

Well, after calculating all kinds of possibilities it is apparent that a before Christmas travel date is unlikely at this point (unless we get word in the next week). It is time to let go of the dream of xmas at home with the little one. There has been no word from the agency as to when they think we may go over. I have always been a "waiting" parent who tends to avoid contacting the agency unless needed. I'm not sure why I don't but perhaps it has something to do with the long haul we've been through thus far and the feeling that no news means there is no news. So I hang on to the shirt tails of the more tenacious parents who do call and may get a tid bit of news that is helpful to us. I don't think we ever truly believed we would be going before xmas. My hope is that we will be there in January and have the G&R ceremony before Tet. January is not so far away...

On another note I will now follow in the foot steps of post-referral parents who have blogged before us and dive into the pages of the book "What to expect the first year" by Heidi Murkoff et al. Let me share with you all some of the things that little Van should be doing as he enters his fourth month of life:

He should be able to lift his head 90 degrees while on his stomach, laugh out loud (we have a great picture taken of him at 2 1/2 months with a giant gummy smile so I would think this milestone has been reached), and follow an object in an arc about 6 inches from his face. He probably can hold his head steady when upright, grasp a rattle, reach for an object, squeal in delight. May be able to roll over, say "ah-goo", razz etc.

It would be so nice to get some updated pictures of him. This is also one of the items post-referral waiting parents yearn for above all else other than the travel dates. So we can see that they are ok and how they are developing. To remind us that yes there is a little person still waiting for us on the other side of the world. Pictures with the beloved nannies, or that show the sleeping quarters or other aspects of orphanage life are especially coveted. One thing I do know (first hand) is that our children are being taken care of exceptionally well. I know that Van is happy and comfortable and that I do not have to worry in that regard. This is a big relief and makes the waiting that much more bearable.

Meg :)

3 comments:

  1. It's so hard. Last November I was bummed. It did help to have a shower hosted in Ben's honour about mid November.

    Keep wishing for travel before Christmas but have a backup wish. Resigned to the fact I wouldn't likely travel by Christmas I was in fact THRILLED to have a solid travel day and a VNese Visa under the Christmas tree.

    My timeline looked like this..
    Referral Sept 2nd
    Invitation to travel Dec 16
    Flew to my son Jan 5th
    Life changed forever Jan 9th
    Flew home Jan 23rd, the Friday before TET

    Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if not this one, then the next Christmas right? It's very interesting to know what Van is now capable of...hopefully you'll be able to witness it all with your own eyes in the near future :) It must indeed be encouraging to know that he is in good hands -- glad to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I did the same thing with that book! There is also "What to Expect the Toddler Years".

    ReplyDelete