Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The good and then the bad

Well the waiting roller coaster continues. I received an email from another family who's daughter is in the same orphanage as Van. They received their referral in early June and are still waiting to travel. The agency told them last week that the file was still in the investigation stage which probably means no travel for a while. One of the most discouraging things about this news is that their little one is special needs i.e. cleft lip. Usually these cases are expedited. Oh well, not much one can do but stay positive and hope that things eventually move along. I know that these constant delays are also beginning to irk our agency but there is really nothing anybody can do about it. We know that families are still traveling and adoptions are still being completed so we have to hope that these longer waits are not an ominous sign of potential program closure but a sign that the Vietnamese government is taking extra care to make sure everything about the adoption is valid. I'd rather believe that than Van's file sitting gathering dust on some bureaucrat's desk or Vietnam deciding that international adoptions are too much trouble.

On another note I may have a possibility of a job on the horizon. This causes mixed feeling for me as I'd like to be able to stay home with Van, but I also know that financially it would be better if I had a job as Pat can stay home with full benefits. I can't be selfish...can I? Another reason why this causes mixed feelings is the job is not quite up to my education level. It possibly pays well though and would be in the legal field. Considering that I do not know when we'll be traveling to pick up Van, I think I would be remiss not to try hard to secure this job. The problem is that I have a quickly diminishing window with respect to parental benefits through EI. If the adoption doesn't go through soon I will not be able to collect benefits. Therefore the job, if offered (big if), really should be accepted. Life sure is a complicated beast. One thing I do know for sure is that Van is my priority right now and I will do whatever I have to do to make sure we give the best home and life possible!

Meg

2 comments:

  1. Here I am to get rid of your zero!

    My suggestion - if you have any doubt at all, any hesitation, if you are even thinking about it, and if there is any way you can possibly afford it (be creative) - stay home with Van for as long as you can. Both of you - why not? That would certainly be the best home and life possible!

    (We are borrowing so I can stay home another ten months, and it is the most worthwhile interest we will ever pay.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! If that were possible we would in a heart beat :)

    ReplyDelete