Saturday, November 14, 2009

The loooong weekends

One of the virtues that is so important to have when going through the adoption process is patience. Those who know me would probably say that patience is something I can be a little short on. But I have been working on it! Not in a "joining a meditative yoga class" way, but in a "shrugging and getting on with things" way. The various waits with adoption can be hair pulling out frustrating. In retrospect I found the easiest wait to be that for the referral (s) although at the time I thought I would go out of my mind. Lack of information, a common issue with adoption, can make the wait that much more difficult. But all the past waits pale in comparison to the wait for those all important travel dates. When your agency emails you to let you know when you will be traveling to pick up your child. You think about that "holy grail" type email from the moment you first lay eyes on your child and the match has been made. You calculate possible travel dates endlessly..."well, we could be traveling in late October early November if the wait is the optimistic 3 month time frame"...Once the optimistic early travel time frame passes then you continue to re-calculate, always hoping against hopes that it won't end up being the 6 month pessimistic end of the time frame. As time passes you think of your child's age and look at the smaller clothes wondering if you will need to box them. You stare at his pictures endlessly and hope at the very least you'll receive updated ones. Which brings me to my post title...the loooong weekends. By and large nothing happens on the weekends. Really you should not expect any new, emails etc. from Friday (usually morning unless somebody at the agency doesn't check their emails until later in the day) until Monday. Sometimes though, if you are very lucky you may get something Sunday evening due to time difference between Canada and Vietnam, if your wonderful agency reps check their emails. So today is Saturday, so now we will wait and I will begin my anxious email checking again tomorrow at around 8ish lol. Because theoretically we could get that all important email any day now! Patience is the name of the game. Or as our SW says "Hurray up and wait".

Meg :)

3 comments:

  1. I remember this feeling, you have described it perfectly! I really hope things change and you get to go earlier than expected!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I often look at your blog to help me visualize our life when we have him home :) We should arrange a play date when we get back. We would love to meet the famous twins ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A big HELLO to you Meg and Pat.

    My name is Michelle and I too am from Ottawa (Barrhaven). Aimée was adopted from Hoa Binh Orphanage in May 2008. I am so excited for you and in a strange way... a little envious. I would love to relive what you are about to experience. Be prepared for something as magical and as wonderful as Christmas, Walt Disney World and your First Love all wrapped up in one.

    Michelle

    http://mabelle-bienaimee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete